Welcome to Windrock

Welcome to Windrock

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Falling leaves

I'm here in my office, looking out the window at a glorious August afternoon. Slight breeze and full blue sky with August sun. And as I look I see it, just a glimpse, but it's there.....FALL!
Yes, school is back in session, a sign of fall, the stores have summer clearance sales, a sign of fall, and the temperatures have cooled to the 50's at night and the 70's during the day, signs of fall. But it's AUGUST! What the heck is going on here?!
What drew my attention were the leaves gently falling from the two walnut trees that stand guard at the corner of my front yard. their only purpose seems to be shading a little grass, and dropping immature walnuts for me to run over with the lawn mower. However, they usually are the first to drop their leaves, then the walnuts, signaling that fall is here, but it's too early.
What does the rest of the summer hold? It looks like it holds an early fall sale.
But I'm not complaining, fall is my favorite season of the year, and it can come as early as it wishes and stay as long as it wants. I'm ready. Let the leaves fall, the pumpkins ripen and the cool, almost frosty mornings start. I'll mow over the dropped walnuts while I'm waiting and counting the leaves as they fall.
Peace my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment