Welcome to Windrock

Welcome to Windrock

Friday, November 13, 2020

Writing About …..RETIREMENT!

 

Retirement, well so far my experience has been limited. If it was a new job I had started, I would just be past the 6 months, where they decide if you are worth keeping or not. That evaluation that points out what you are doing just fine and what you (they think) need to work on. So far, The Fetching Mrs. B has been the most frequent sounding board as to how this phase of life should go.

But let’s look back at how this chapter of life came to be. Ever since I have been an adult worker, the “R” word has been out there. Like the carrot on the proverbial stick in front of the proverbial donkey. The nearly reachable, but not quite close enough for a taste.

 Or maybe a better example would be a picture.


US HWY 60 in New Mexico (by Dan Bohannon near Pie Town)

There is the constant passing of days on the road of life, retirement just over the horizon, however far that maybe. Each day passes, then a month then a year, looking back it seems to have been real, but all you left was a shadow of yourself, because every day the real you, the living you, the you racing to the horizon, lived in the present, not the past. Not even the future usually.

From the time I was about 50, so many conversations with fellow workers, friends or family centered around, if not retirement, then work and how much meaning we found and how much longer we would have to endure. Working for a large company, the magic age to get to was 54. If you could make it that long, a layoff or downsize would not be the end of the world. The company would give you a package and you would be eligible for your retirement money that they had put away for you.

At 52, my job was eliminated, but through the graciousness of my region VP another position was created, one that I bluntly told him would hopefully last 2 years and get me to 54. That job lasted 5 years. At the end of my 25th year I was downsized, and listed as an official retiree. I was 57 and 3 months  of age. So here it was the end of a career, the end of the book. Or was it?

The thing is while writing the chapters that become the book of our life they all lead, if carefully planned, to the retirement chapter. Some of these, like a good mystery novel, may actually contain clues to what the retirement chapter will be like. Or, there may be clues that aren’t actually leading anywhere.

The culture, our friends, ads, social media often remind us “getting old isn’t for the (insert your own descriptor here)”. We also are told that retirement can never be achieved if we aren’t really, really prepared, both financially and mentally. I can agree with some thoughts on this, but retirement for others will probably look different than it does for me. Preparation does include monetary planning, but also the realization that life will change, just as it always has.

Just as in every chapter in the story leading up to the Retirement chapter has had change, if you are not ready for another change, perhaps the chapter you are currently writing needs a few more paragraphs, perhaps, even many pages.

 What retirement offers, is opportunity for you, to write the story from that point on. If you were like me the next chapter seemed to be written, or at least had an outline.  Whether you were working for “the Man” or were a self-made business person, you have spent many more hours of your life at work, than anywhere else. All that work to get to the next level of whatever ladder/game/plan. Hoping that what you did every day would allow you the opportunity to NOT do that every day for the rest of your life.  

For us, retirement is allowing us to write the next chapter. Now the outline of the rest of the book is in our hands, not the time clock hands or the hands that sign paychecks (I know hands don’t do that anymore). We choose the theme of the chapter and work within the limits of income and enjoyment to make the rest of the book the best. Just like the ending of an exciting mystery or adventure tale, we’re not sure what is at the end of the road we are on, what is over the top of the next mountain or just how sunny tomorrow will be.

But with all the uncertainty, there is still the reassurance of faith, hope and love. Faith in what we know to be true, hope that everything will be okay,(it may or may not be, defined by...?) and love that we have cultivated over the time of our life together.

So ONWARD we go, retired, but not tired of life, living or looking ahead. The past has surely prepared us for the future by showing us we need to be flexible. 

So, like a rubber hose on a hot summer day, be flexible my friends. 

Peace

Dan

2 comments:

  1. I guess for me, I am not ready to set the theme myself. 40 years was definitely enough time in the classroom, although I still miss some aspects of it, but 3+ years in, I am still enjoying my time in maintenance at the same school where I taught for 31 years. I think part of is that I have excellent employers and fellow workers and my efforts are much needed and appreciated even if poorly compensated. In spite of the injuries I put up with earlier this year, I do not have any plans for retirement any time soon. It is nice to have the security of pension and SS, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope both you and the Fetching Mrs. B have many great years of retirement! Both of you have been an inspiration to us. We are excited about the prospect of traveling again in 2021. This years plans are sitting in my desk drawer waiting to be dusted off. As the great Willie Nelson would sing "On the Road Again"!

    ReplyDelete