Welcome to Windrock

Welcome to Windrock

Monday, July 22, 2013

You Can Be Epic, Part: Last

The One Run For Boston was gaining steam. The story had made it to USA Today with a great photo of Danny Bent running a long deserted desert highway. All the legs were covered and people were continuing to sign up to join others. A major story had been in USA Today! It, we, the relay was a big story. Epic. 
  June 20th, "Miles" the baton entered Missouri. This was the day. Sometime that evening I would be carrying Miles on a 9.5 mile leg from Sampson to Phillipsburg MO. But not alone. 
  The day before I got a very unexpected phone call from, of all places, Boston. Eric Moskowitz, a Boston Globe reporter, called to confirm that he would, with my permission, join me on my leg in order to write a story about One Run For Boston. I was stunned. Why me? I asked. Eric said they wanted to do a story about an average runner who had decided to be part of this epic (I'm not sure he said epic) relay. Someone had suggested me or something. 
  Okay. 
  Eric came, met me at the hand off to leg 170 and along with photographer Greg Kendall-Ball, shadowed me the rest of the day. 
  The relay was still behind. After meeting the next group for hand off, Greg taped a video interview and Eric was writing down everything I said. It was weird. You can watch the video, I won't bore you with the details. 

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U25PtxLe80

  It was the most fun and epic run I have ever had. It was once in a lifetime. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment