Welcome to Windrock

Welcome to Windrock

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Easter Lilies

I grew up here in the Ozarks. My people are a mix of Scotch-Irish, probably some German and according to family legend Cherokee. My particular tribe were and are hard working people, who make work for a living and sometimes make work, just because they like to work.
We did live in an isolated holler in the hills, but my folks still talk the way their parents did, which to some is pretty hillbilly. We don't say "ya'll"  we say "you'ins" and we also have alot of other words in our vocabulary that we know what mean, but outsiders may not.
And we especially had names for flowers that we all grew.
As I was out this evening cleaning flower beds and trimming bushes I was reminded of how much I love the Easter lilies that are blooming in my garden beds. Now, you may say, Easter Lilies are not blooming in your beds, it's way too early and besides, who grows those outside? Well, Easter lilies I found out later in life, have a fancy name, jonquils. But to me those first flowers up, are and always will be Easter lilies. I don't know why they are called that. Maybe it is because they are usually up by Easter, or maybe it's because they represent Christ risen from the grave, seeing as how by the middle of summer they are completely gone and forgotten then suddenly in February or March they burst out of the cold grave of the winter ground and soon are nodding their yellow heads in the winds and sometimes snow of March. They are tough and they are beautiful and they give us hope that Spring truly is on it's way.
I'm happy that my Easter lilies are blooming. But just wait, soon all the 'flags' will be unfurling their unique flowers too. You know what those are, right?
Peace (and flowers) my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment