Welcome to Windrock

Welcome to Windrock

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Something Meaningful

Lest I forget, here's some more about my Oklahoma half marathon experience that really makes it more than a race. I use that term loosely in my case, for by the time I finish, all the "racers" have had their massage, shower and lunch, but I digress.
The Oklahoma Memorial Marathon is billed as "A Run to Remember." The remembrance,is not referring to me remembering what a good time I had, or what a great T-Shirt I got, it's about remembering those who died in the Murrah Building bombing in 1995.
Each mile of the course has banners flying from street light posts, utility poles and such, with names of the victims. For me this is inspiring. As we crazy people run the streets of Oklahoma City, the crowds along the way shout encouragement, but they also tell us "Thank you, for coming, for remembering!" For many of them this yearly event is meaningful, it proves to them that they are not left alone with their memories of that life changing event.
To me it has meaning in that I cannot do the race without taking stock of my own life, and the fact that I, like you, hope that what I do in this life has or will have meaning. Each of us it seems is looking for something with meaning to make us feel alive, or to last beyond the years that we live.
Many times in discussions with people I work with, we often turn to the idea of retirement and what life after "work" will be like. Most often the statement "When I retire, or when they let me go, I would like my next job, or retirement to be something with 'meaning'." Usually, we who are gathered, all nod and acknowledge, that we too, would like to do something with "meaning".
Well, after marathon weekend in OKC, I often do reflect on what in life has meaning. It's not the first time I have come to this conclusion, but I realize again that amid all the demands of life, that everyday has meaning It has to, otherwise, the motivation to go out there, well, it just doesn't exist.
For marriage, raising two sons, inviting daughters into the family,and looking forward to grandchildren all has meaning. If I take the perspective that all life has meaning, even my job as a cheese salesman, then how can I not look forward to tomorrow. Life is all meaning.
As many of you know, I am a John Denver fan. Why? Because so many of the songs he wrote or performed spoke to me as a teenager trying to find meaning in life during the early 1970's when our culture and society seemed to be in chaos. Schmaltzy as some of those songs may seem, there is meaning there. So when it comes to this getting older issue, there's one song that really says a lot, if not all about where I am now, and meaning. Like the people in Oklahoma City who see meaning in a group of people running through their neighborhoods on a Sunday morning, I look for the meaning of the past and the future. Here's some of John's words that seem to fit me now.
Poems,Prayers and Promises, by John Denver, copyright 1971.
I've been lately thinking about my life's time,
all the things I've done and how it's been,
and I can't help believn' in my own mind
I know I'm gonna hate to see it end.

Now jump to the first line of the chorus...

I have to say it now it's been a good life all in all,
it's really fine to have the chance to hang around,...

And that says it for me. Just having the chance to hang around, that in itself has meaning. Look for your meaning today.

Peace my friends.

1 comment: