Welcome to Windrock

Welcome to Windrock

Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Earth(worms) Beneath My Feet.

Wow! Spring is here and as March marches out like cold hearted Empire Stormtroopers, I find myself constantly looking down. Down at the grass that already needs a mowing, down at flowers that I feel are just a little too anxious to get started and down at my favorite underground animal ( yes I said animal!) the tiller of the soil, the earthworm.
All this rain has brought these dirt munching machines to the surface, and yesterday I found myself throwing the ones still wiggling out of my garage and back into the flower beds. I always wondered why on a wet morning, the worms would be out. I called them "The Worms Of Dawn!" and thought maybe it was just all the party worms and teenage worms who didn't get back down to earth before it got dark. What I heard, and makes sense, is that when it rains and the ground gets saturated, worms will drown! Duh! They are air breathing animals after all, I mean, they don't survive when we hook them and use them for fish bait.
Anyway, I love earthworms, so I'll try to save a few if I can, because they are essential to good gardens. They know their job and talk about focused, or perhaps obsessed, that would be the earthworm. Each time I dig in my yard or garden, I find earthworms, or should we just call them worms. Occasionally of course there's a grub, which not a worm, but the larvae of all those June bugs that will buzzing in July, and the interesting thing, is I don't believe I have ever found an earthworm sleeping! It seems that whether in good soil or in a clod of hard clay, they are doing what worms do, and what is exactly is that? Well, let me tell you, it has to do with changing nutrients in the soil into worm casings, or poop. I am impressed by the diligence of these guys and their constant pursuit of better soil, at least that is the way it seems to me. In reality, and this is my reality, I have no idea if it is scientific, I think they are all just trying to find that really good underground cafe' where they can move around easily and, well, get good dirt.
Have you ever tasted dirt? I am thankful for all the great food that comes from the earth beneath my feet, I am truly glad that the Creator, decided that it was better for those created last to have a taste for the "fruit of the vine" rather that the medium the root of the vine sucks life from. Anyway back to worms, I found that if I have good dirt, I will have big healthy worms, who are tearing through the dirt, compost or manure pile like crazy. These are happy worms (until you dig them up then they get a little cranky). I think all those skinny little worms in the clod of clay in the north garden are just itching (is that possible) to get to where these big fat worms are so they too can drive through a big pile of rotting leaves and get fat. That I believe is their only purpose in life, oh, and to also make more worms, 'cause we definitely need more worms. Worms who are willing to tunnel through clods of hard clay to get to where they can fulfill, or maybe just fill that place in the rotting leaf pile. Where, when they are done, I will praise them and use their casings to make things grow!
What am I talking about? I guess the question is do you know the purpose God has for you? If so are you willing to take a position in a rotting world to try to make it better. God and the world need more people who will become like an earthworm in the world, working out of sight most of the time, but striving with a single purpose in mind. For this you too will receive a reward of a place where you can move around easily and find the best nutrients for your eternal life, and God, the Master Gardener of all will look at you and say "Well done, my good and faithful worm!"
Wiggle on in Peace my fellow worms!

No comments:

Post a Comment